About The Arnold Shoulder Press
Current governor and six time Mr. Olympia, Arnold Schwarzengger, used this variation of the shoulder press while training for his bodybuilding competitions – which is why it has been dubbed the “Arnold shoulder press”. The variation – which involves alternating the arm position to alternate muscular recruitment within the shoulder – is quite advanced and should be performed using lighter weights than you would normally use for a typical shoulder press.
Arnold Shoulder Press Video
Get A Free Workout Program
Detailed Workout Programs Designed By Certified Personal Trainers.
Get Them Now!
Arnold Shoulder Press Steps
- Select appropriately weighted dumbbells and sit on an upright bench.
- Kick the dumbbells up to a position that has the palms facing the shoulders.
- Exhale, drive the weights overhead and gradually rotate the palms away from the body throughout the motion.
- Inhale and at a controlled speed, lower the weights back down while gradually turning the palms back inwards.
- Repeat until the desired number of repetitions are completed.
Performing the Arnold shoulder press while in a standing position will draw additional recruitment from the core muscles to maintain the upright position.