About The Overhead Dumbbell Press
If you only have time for one shoulder exercise – the overhead dumbbell press is it. No other exercise even compares to the overhead dumbbell press when it comes to targeting the shoulders and stimulating the development of lean muscle. The overhead dumbbell press is classified as a compound, multi-joint movement. These types of exercises generally trigger a greater anabolic hormone response, which is beneficial for both muscle gain and fat loss.
Overhead Dumbbell Press Video
Overhead Dumbbell Press Steps
- Select appropriately weighted dumbbells, sit on an upright bench and rest the weights on your thighs.
- Initiate movement by kicking up one weight at a time to provide assistance in getting the weights up to starting position. Starting position has your arms at a 90 degree angle with wrists in alignment with your elbows.
- Exhale, extend your arms and drive the weights overhead. The finishing phase of the exercise has the weights making slight contact.
- Inhale and lower the weights back to the original starting position which has your arms at a 90 degree angle with your wrist and elbow aligned.
- Repeat until the desired number of repetitions are completed.
Overhead Dumbbell Press Variations
Performing the overhead dumbbell press while standing instead of sitting on the upright bench is slightly more functional in the sense that it mimics day-to-day movements. This version also requires more stability so additional muscles – particularly those of the core – are recruited.